What is a Chart of Origin?
The Chart of Origin is a wheel that contains the twelve archetypes that make up your Sacred Contract for this lifetime. It was invented by New York Times best-selling author Caroline Myss. Stacey Couch is an Archetypal Consultant certified through Caroline Myss’s education institute. Stacey works as mentor for students in Caroline Myss’ Sacred Contracts Online school.
With the Chart of Origin you have a chance to know much more about what motivates you as well as what challenges and opportunities exist in your life. A Chart of Origin reveals what you came to do here in this lifetime and also helps you discover more about who you REALLY are. The Chart of Origin is the foundation for all other work with archetypes and Sacred Contracts.
Before casting your chart of origin you will first need to go through the self-reflective process of identifying your twelve natal archetypes. Stacey Couch guides you through this process in Archetypal Consulting Sessions. Click here to learn more. Once you’ve successfully identified those archetypes, you can proceed with the ceremony below.
Ceremony for Casting your Chart of Origin
What you will need:
- Your twelve natal archetypes cards or the names of the archetypes written on identical slips of paper. (Caroline Myss’s Archetype Cards work great).
- Twelve small, identical pieces of paper with the numbers 1 through 12 written on them.
- A large notebook, blank piece of printer paper, or a print out of a blank 12-house wheel if you have access to one. If you’re starting with a blank sheet of paper, draw a circle and divide it into 12 slices. Number those slices 1-12.
- Optional: Candle, altar and/or items for an altar
Setting Sacred Space:
- Choose a special, quiet location to conduct this ceremony, either a spot outside in nature or inside your home.
- If you have an altar and choose to be inside, set up at or near your altar. If you don’t have an altar, you may want to consider placing out an arrangement of items that have meaning to you and that help you find a sense of peace.
- Set 30-60 minutes aside of uninterrupted time. Be sure everyone in the house knows not to disturb you. Turn off or silence all phones, devices and computers on your person or in the room.
- If you are in a place that it is safe to do so, light a candle. You may also want to put on some soothing music. Sit either with your legs crossed or on a chair with the soles of your feet on the ground.
- Spend a few moments considering “Who it is” that you are asking for help casting this wheel. Is it God? the Divine within you? Your higher self? Your soul? Your guides? A specific guide? Whomever you choose, invite this holy presence into the space to assist you.
- Now do Caroline Myss’s “Centering Meditation” written below
- Next read aloud the “Prayer for Casting” written below.
Casting the Wheel:
- Now it is time to cast the wheel!
- Shuffle the stack of numbered cards or slips of paper representing the houses. Place them face down in front of you.
- Shuffle the stack of 12 archetypes and place them face down in front of you.
- Choose a number and an archetype. This is your first pairing to write in your chart. If you choose the number nine and the saboteur card, then write the saboteur in the ninth house.
- Continue on until all houses have an archetype listed in them.
Closing the Ceremony:
- End the ceremony with a blessing or prayer.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths soaking in all that has transpired.
- Finish with a bow or blow a kiss as a “thank you” to the heavens.
From Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential by Caroline Myss (pg. 243-244)
“Center yourself as you would if you were doing a visualization for healing or spiritual guidance. Breathe in and out deeply three times, and empty your mind. Direct your attention fully into your body. Focus on your first chakra. Visualize closing the shutters of that chakra so that its energy is fully contained in your body. Feel the silence that results and the relief as you close down any contact with first-chakra concerns, such as family affairs. Bring all your energy connections back into your root chakra and hold them there. You are no longer in contact with outside matters, so for a moment rest in the tranquility of being contained in one place.
Now close the shutters through each of the rest of your chakras. Move to your second chakra, in the genital area, and let go of any thoughts or emotions concerning money, sex, and power. Consolidate your energy in the second chakra, and just enjoy the pleasurable sensation of having no agenda. Next close the shutters of your third chakra, corresponding to the solar plexus. Release all thoughts or feelings about your self-esteem, how others view you, and how you see yourself. You are entering a state in which you are viewing yourself without preconceptions. Think of the Zen koan or riddle, ‘What was my original face, before I was born?’
Now move your attention to the fourth, or heart, chakra, the center of your emotions. Let go of emotions that may hinder or obscure the process of casting your chart. Draw your energy into your heart center and hold it there, free of any emotional charge. Then focus on your throat chakra, the center of will and choice. You can release all concerns about making conscious choices, secure in the knowledge that your intuition, the Divine within, will be selecting your archetypes for you. Enjoy the feeling of safety and intimate connection with your inner self. Raising your attention to the sixth chakra, focus on the pineal gland, on an imaginary line reaching back from between your eyes to the center of your skull. Let any conscious thoughts drift through your mind without either clinging to them or forcing them to leave. This is the state known as the ‘mirror mind,’ in which you observe ideas passing like clouds above a mirror. Finally, bring your attention to your seventh chakra, and imagine that the shutters are at the crown of your head and that you are opening them as wide as possible. Your seventh chakra is now the only opening in your body, making you fully dependent on the energy of that spiritual portal.”
Prayer for Casting
By Stacey Couch
I now rest into the serene silence of my inner sanctuary and forbid extraneous distractions to my awareness. I drop all cares, worries, expectations, fears, hopes and dreams for myself in an effort to unveil the grand divine design for my life. I am here to discover why I am here on this earth. I trust in the vast eternity of my soul. I open myself up to the guidance of my sacred contract. I surrender myself to act as a channel for this counsel. I invoke the graces of understanding, knowledge and wisdom. May the chart I cast here and now direct me to the service, love and gifts I have to offer the world this lifetime. May it help me embrace my authentic self and live my soul’s potential. Reveal to me the placement of my natal archetypes in my chart of origin, the chart that shows me what I came here to embody, overcome, and create in the world. Let the path of my evolution, my enlightenment, be laid before me in plain sight. I am ready now to see and I trust myself in your hands, the hands of this process. Let me begin…
Want help with your Chart of Origin?
Click here to schedule an Archetypal Consulting
Session with Stacey Couch
About Author, Stacey L. L. Couch
Stacey L. L. Couch, Certified Archetypal Consultant through Caroline Myss’s CMED Institute, works as a publicist and journalist for Mother Nature and is the author of Gracious Wild: A Shamanic Journey with Hawks. She empowers people with the ability to explore life’s big questions by calling on nature, story and synchronicity as sources of guidance and healing. Stacey has a unique blend of rational and mystical perspective that makes the world of symbolism and archetypes easily accessible to others. She values mindfulness, wonder, and compassion in her daily spiritual practice. Learn More about Stacey.